Wednesday 29 July 2015

Sim Card Nightmare

To the Motorola launch yesterday and came away with a lovely shiny Moto G third gen handset. For a budget blower it is brilliant, with several features that appeal to me very much. The first is a clean Android install with little bloatware. Android's installation process transferred all my favourite apps from my previous phone quickly and without fuss.
Second, it is waterproof for 30 min at 1m under. And it doesn't have those fiddly port covers either - it is done by clever seals and nanocoatings that repel the watery substances. For a boat nut this is a killer feature.
Thirdly, the battery life is excellent.
But there is one 'feature' that is driving me nuts. It uses a micro SIM.
Just a few weeks ago I went to considerable lengths to change to a nano SIM on the grounds that the mobile world is moving that way and I can always use an adapter if any phone I happen to have on test uses a bigger card.
Can I buggery. The Moto G demands a micro SIM with no adapter, and it won't work with the thing I have, the sort with a membrane over the back to keep it in place.
The ring of plastic that my nano SIM was broken out of was thrown away, natch. I am going to have to tour the mobile phone shops to see if I can get one. Damn, damn damn.
Why can't the industry just settle on a format and stick to it. DAMN.

UPDATE
A visit to Carphone Warehouse yielded an adapter with no back membrane that works a treat. Cost a fiver though <simmering resentment>.

No comments:

Post a Comment