Sunday 24 August 2014

HSBC mobile banking farce

It's Sunday morning and I have important sailing to do but I want to get this off my chest before the rage dies.
Logging on to First Direct's website to check progress on my overdraft, I was shunted onto a page asking me to choose which new high-security logon system I wanted to sign up to. No option to just go and check my balance and decide later, they want a decision now. So the anger started.
Plough through the options. A digital secure logon, requiring an app running on a mobile device. Or, a little calculator gizmo for generating a one-time PIN. Or, nothing at all but can only consult my balances and not actually do much with my money.
OK, I almost inevitably use my Windows PC to do internet banking on. It is located in a secure-ish position in my office, it has a keyboard and mouse making life easy, and I am used to it.
The alternative is my iPad, which I don't like using because the First Direct app is optimised for iPhone and is anyway PROBABLY THE WORST BANKING APP IN THE WORLD (but competition for that title is stiff, I allow). My current phone is the very swish and wonderful Nokia Lumia 930 running WinPhone.
The supported devices? iPhone (not iPad) and Android.
So that's me stuffed, digital-secure-login-wise.
So I tried to go back to change my choice to the gizmo thingy, which I can keep next to my desktop. I won't be able to set up standing orders from the 57 bus but hey, I can live with that.
And it wouldn't let me. Even logging out and logging back in again didn't work. The know-it-all system just assumes I no longer want to choose and puts me right through to 'limited banking'. So now I can't set up standing orders via the web at all.
I could spit. Why is it that First Direct, the first bank to make banking simple and easy, without having to go into a branch and speak to a condescending assistant under-manager, screwing up digital like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment