Wednesday 17 July 2013

Buy Not Apple and Save (2)

I'm really pleased with this bit of kit. I ordered it off Amazon on Monday and it arrived today (Wednesday). It is attractive, thin and light, works as advertised and even survived being folded in half and rammed through the letterbox by the postman.
Best of all, the total cost was £8.48 including P&P. An official Apple smart cover would have set me back about FORTY SOVS.
Getting it returned my to a sunnier mood after an outstandingly frustrating time on the App Store downloading music streaming apps for Woman's Weekly.
I tried to download one of the apps by following the link from the site (bloody RDIO, I think) and it directed me unawares to the US App Store.
Then, because I am in the UK, it refused to download the app. Did it put up a helpful messages saying 'Hey, you are in the UK - we are transferring you to the UK App Store where you will be able to get the app you need'? Did it hell. It just sat there, sullenly refusing to dish the goods.
So I cursed fluently and went on to the next site on my list (8tracks, blast them) and the response from the App Store was a message telling me that access was denied because I was in the US store and I would have to go the the UK store.
Some progress. At least I knew what to do. Discovering how to do it was another matter. I couldn't find a route wherever I looked. Most international operations have a little flag at the top right telling you where you are, but not Apple. It would clutter up the page and look messy. God rot them.
Eventually I had to google it. This is what you do:
1. Tap "Settings"
2. Tap "iTunes & App Stores"
3.Tap "View Apple ID"
4. Enter your user name and password.
5. Tap "Country/Region."
6. Tap "Change Country/Region"
7. Select the region where you are located.
8. Tap "Done".
Simplez!

No comments:

Post a Comment