Thursday 19 November 2015

Poison Apple

I got my iPad Pro last Thursday after a very long phone call with an affable Irishman on the morning it finally hit the online shop. It is very good, thank you very much. Fast, a very clear screen, lots of space to see stuff, and multitasking is a joy.
But...I was really looking forward to the Smart Keyboard. It looks really well thought through. Using physical pogo pins to connect instead of Bluetooth means it knows when you are holding it in your hands and when you have it sitting in the keyboard, so it can pop the onscreen keyboard up as appropriate instead of forcing you to faff about retrieving the keyboard from the desk every time you want to enter a URL or something. And it does without the trackpad, something I abhor.
Now I discover that the Smart Keyboard is only available in the US layout.
WHAT? No £ key? @ and " keys in the wrong places, a real bummer for touch typists like me.
I have cancelled the fucking order.
As it happens, the Microsoft Universal Keyboard is doing a great job - the iPad Pro handles Bluetooth much better than the horrible Acer thing, so firing up the keyboard when I need it takes just a moment.
But I am still hacked off.
The Apple rep said I could buy the Logitech thing they have on the website, but it has a protective case that holds the tablet so tightly getting the bloody thing off is a major faff.
Bloody Apple. Is a UK layout keyboard beyond you?

No comments:

Post a Comment